Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Beckoning by Christopher Savio

I loved this book. Yes it does have some POV changes and yes there are some miss spelled words but other then that I couldn't put the book down. I stayed up until one in the morning to finish it knowing I had to be up by four that morning.
Marissa is a shy girl who finds it almost painful to talk to boys. She has two great friends and her dog Max. Marissa has always been close to her parents who installed a love of history in her. After her father visits a plantation he becomes obsessed with it. He decides that the whole family must move to Mill Run.

Marissa isn't happy but has no choice. After arriving there strange things happen to her parents who become less and less like the people she knew and more like some glass eyed zombie. Then other things start to change around her...the town of Mill Run never changes, the same cars pass on the street, the same people sit in the diner. Then strange things happen in the house. Marissa runs across an old diary that tells of a demon that has taken over the house and Marissa knows it is up to her to save her family.

As I said once i was into the story I didn't want to put it down. The point of view shifting about half way through the story did bother me a little but I was able to move past it. The same with the few misspelled words, I was able to over look them. The story was fairly fast paced even though it made fighting a demon fairly simple. Still it is a young adult book and I believe most young adults along with adults will enjoy the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment